Franklin D. Newell Jr. Memorial Scholarship
In 1992, founder and chief executive officer of Minnesota Freezer Warehouse Company, Franklin D. “Duke” Newell, Jr., passed away. To honor his memory, the Newell family, on behalf of MFWC, sponsors up to three individual memorial scholarships of $1,000 each. These memorial scholarships have contributed to the continued education of local students for over 20 years and counting.
A large number of graduating seniors are eligible to receive a Franklin D. Newell Jr. Memorial Scholarship and can apply for consideration by March 31st annually.
Qualifying applicants must meet the following requirements:
- Graduating high school seniors must be accepted into an accredited four year college or university and have completed their high school career with an accumulative grade point average of 2.5 or higher.
- Undergraduate students going into their sophomore year must have completed their freshman year with an accumulative grade point average of 2.75 or higher.
- Undergraduate sophomores must be enrolled in and continuing work on an Applied Associates of Science or Associates of Art degree with an accumulative grade point average of 2.75 or higher.
- Students must have residence in Albert Lea, Austin, or Worthington community Minnesota areas.
To apply for the Franklin D. Newell Jr. Memorial Scholarship, qualifying students must:
- fill out and submit an application by March 31st
- provide three references attesting to their moral character, work ethic, and deservance of scholarship
- provide credentials from high school or college that prove their qualifications for our scholarship (this can include a copy of school transcript, a written letter from school administration, or other official validation)
- provide three letters of recommendation from non-family members
Students should submit their application and the additional requested information to:
Minnesota Freezer Warehouse Company
Attn: Margaret Newell
820 East 13th Street P.O. Box 86
Albert Lea, MN 56007-0086
- Qualifying students who have received the Franklin D. Newell Jr. Memorial Scholarship in the past may reapply.
- School counselors or college departments may submit names and credentials of students in their school who qualify for award of scholarship.
- Preference of recipients is given to family members of current MFWC employees, students with a need for financial assistance, and/or students with career interest as food scientists, food laboratory technicians, or other food and health related fields.
- Scholarships are paid through the financial aid office of the college the recipients attend.
- Scholarships are good for one year and will expire in the summer of the following year if not used in full.
- Award results will be released in May.
MFWC is committed to supporting our community’s students and promoting the benefits of higher learning. The Franklin D. Newell Jr. Memorial Scholarship can help pave the way for three students that take the time to apply for consideration, and it is a valuable way of honoring the memory of our beloved founder. Contact MFWC at (507) 373-1477 for more information or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org with questions and concerns.